About the Balogh Lab
The primary research interest in the Balogh Lab is canine uterine inertia with primary focus on the underlying endocrine and molecular mechanisms of absent or insufficient labor contractions. The role of obesity on reproductive performance of bitches is also investigated. Further projects are centered around canine semen analysis and male infertility, and the effects of a slow-release GnRH agonist (deslorelin) on testicular and epididymal function. Studies on canine pregnancy and neonatology, female and male reproductive endocrinology, and ultrasonography of the female and male reproductive tract are also of great interest.
- Canine dystocia: Understanding the functional alterations of uterine contractility in primary uterine inertia
- The role of obesity on reproductive performance of bitches
- Canine semen processing: optimizing centrifugation and concentration standards for cooled canine semen handling
- Testicular downregulation with a slow-release GnRH agonist (deslorelin) as a model of canine male infertility
- Dr. Linda Müller, Department of Obstetrics and Food Animal Medicine Clinic, University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest, Hungary
- Dr. Aykut Gram, Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Erciyes University, Turkey
- Dr. Julie T. Cecere, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech
- Dr. Orsolya Balogh (PI)
- Dr. Nicole Sugai (MS student and theriogenology resident)
- Dr. Samantha McCarter (PhD Student)
- Lourdes Frehner B, Christen M, Reichler IM, Jagannathan V, Novacco M, Riond B, Peters LM, Suárez Sánchez-Andrade J, Pieńkowska-Schelling A, Schelling C, Kipar A, Leeb T*, Balogh O*: Autosomal recessive hyposegmentation of granulocytes in Australian Shepherd Dogs indicates a role for LMBR1L in myeloid leukocytes. PLoS Genet, 2023;19(6):e1010805. *senior authorship
- Sones S and Balogh O: Body condition and fertility in dogs. Vet Clin: Small Anim Pract, 2023 May; S0195-5616(23)00067-0.
- Sugai N, Werre S, Cecere J, Balogh O: Defining an optimal range of centrifugation parameters for canine semen processing. Animals, 2023;13:1421.
- Pestelacci S, Tzanidakis N, Reichler IM, Balogh O: Comparison of two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) ultrasonography for gestational aging in early to mid-pregnant bitches. Reprod Domest Anim, 2022;57:235-245.
- Gram DY, Sexton B, Liman N, Müller L, Abay M, Gram A*, Balogh O*: Testicular expression of antioxidant enzymes and the effects of a slow-release deslorelin implant (Suprelorin® 4.7 mg) in the dog. Animals, 2022;12:2343. *senior authorship
- Jungmann C, Gauguin Houghton C, Goth Nielsen F, Packeiser E-M, Körber H, Reichler IM, Balogh O*, Goericke-Pesch S*: Involvement of oxytocin and progesterone receptor expression in the etiology of canine uterine inertia. Int J Mol Sci, 2022;23:13601. *senior authorship
- Rempel LM, Körber H, Reichler IM, Balogh O, Goericke-Pesch S: Investigations on the potential role of prostaglandin E2 in canine uterine inertia. Theriogenology, 2021;175:134-147.
- Balogh O, Somoskői B, Kollár E, Kowalewski MP, Gram A, Reichler IM, Klein R, Kawate N, Mester L, Walter B, Müller L: Anti-Müllerian hormone, testosterone, and insulin-like peptide 3 as biomarkers of Sertoli and Leydig cell function during deslorelin-induced testicular downregulation in the dog. Theriogenology, 2021; 175:100-110.
- Helms AB, Balogh O, Franklin-Guild R, Lahmers K, Caswell CC and Cecere JT: Presumptive Identification of smooth Brucella strain antibodies in canines. Front Vet Sci, 2021;8:697479.
- Zuercher J, Boes KM, Balogh O, Helms AB, Cecere JT: Comparison of a point-of-care analyzer with a chemiluminescent immunoassay for serum progesterone measurement in breeding management of the bitch. Front Vet Sci, 2021;8:660923.
- Frehner BL, Reichler IM, Kowalewski MP, Gram A, Keller S, Goericke-Pesch S, Balogh O: Implications of the RhoA / Rho associated kinase pathway and leptin in primary uterine inertia in the dog. J Reprod Dev, 2021;67:207-215.
- Rempel LM, Andresen Lillevang KT, thor Straten AK, Friðriksdóttir SB, Körber H, Wehrend A, Kowalewski MP, Reichler IM, Balogh O, Goericke-Pesch S: Do uterine PTGS2, PGFS and PTGFR expression play a role in canine uterine inertia? Cell Tissue Res, 2021, 385:251-264.
- Egloff S, Reichler IM, Kowalewski MP, Keller S, Goericke-Pesch S, Balogh O: Uterine expression of smooth muscle alpha- and gamma-actin and smooth muscle myosin in bitches diagnosed with uterine inertia and obstructive dystocia. Theriogenology, 2020;156:162-170.
- Müller L, Kok E, Kollár E, Balogh O, Thuróczy J: Changes in serum leptin concentrations in relation to the oestrous cycle and body fat content in female dogs. Literature review and own data (in Hungarian). Magy Állato Lapja, 2019;141:411-424.
- Frehner BL, Reichler IM, Keller S, Goericke-Pesch S, Balogh O: Blood calcium, glucose and haematology profiles of parturient bitches diagnosed with uterine inertia or obstructive dystocia. Reprod Domest Anim 2018;53:680-687.
- Keller SR, Abonyi-Tóth Z, Sprenger N, Austin SC, Wichert BAC, Liesegang A, Oei CHY, Balogh O, Reichler IM: Effect of metoclopramide treatment of bitches during the first week of lactation on serum prolactin concentration, milk composition, and milk yield and on weight gain of their puppies. Am J Vet Res 2018;79:233-241.
- Balogh O, Bruckmaier R, Keller S, Reichler IM: Effect of maternal metabolism on fetal supply: Glucose, non-esterified fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate concentrations in canine maternal serum and fetal fluids at term pregnancy. Anim Reprod Sci 2018;193:209-216.
- Balogh O, Müller L, Boos A, Kowalewski MP, Reichler IM: Expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 and its receptor in preovulatory follicles and in the corpus luteum in the bitch. Gen Comp Endocrinol, 2018;269:68-74.
- Balogh O, Boruat N, Meier A, Hartnack S, Reichler IM: The influence of spaying and its timing relative to the onset of puberty on urinary and general behavior in Labrador Retrievers. Reprod Domest Anim, 2018;53:1184-1190.
- Müller L, Mester L, Nagy A, Hanácsek R, Janett F, Cseh S, Reichler IM, Balogh O: Effect of a long-acting deslorelin implant (Suprelorin® 4.7 mg) on semen characteristics, body weight, serum biochemical and haematology profile in adult male Beagle dogs. Literature review and a prospective study (in Hungarian). Magy Állato Lapja, 2018;140:727-736.
- Keiser R, Reichler IM, Balogh O: Are foetal ultrasonographic and maternal blood progesterone measurements near parturition reliable predictors of the time of birth in the domestic cat? Reprod Domest Anim 2017;52:487-494. (https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/eprint/130018/)
- Balogh O, Roch M, Keller S, Michel E, Reichler IM: The use of semi-quantitative tests at Cesarean section delivery for the differentiation of canine fetal fluids from maternal urine on the basis of biochemical characteristics. Theriogenology, 2017;88:174-182. (https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/eprint/130017/)
- Müller L, Kowalewski MP, Reichler IM, E Kollár, Balogh O: Different expression of leptin and IGF1 in the adult and prepubertal testis in dogs. Reprod Domest Anim 2017;52(Suppl 2):187-192.
- Balogh O, Staub LP, Gram A, Boos A, Kowalewski MP, Reichler IM: Leptin in the canine uterus and placenta: possible implications in pregnancy. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2015;13:13.
- Balogh O, Degrandi F, Hässig M, Reichler IM: Validation of screening examinations of the ureteral orifices in dogs: comparison of ultrasonography with dissection. Res Vet Sci 2015;101:199-205. (https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/eprint/115661/)
- Balogh O, Berger A, Pieńkowska-Schelling A, Willmitzer F, Grest P, Janett F, Schelling C, Reichler IM: 37,X/38,XY mosaicism in a cryptorchid Bengal cat with Müllerian duct remnants. Sex Dev2015;9:327-332.
- Spoerri M, Guscetti F, Hartnack S, Boos A, Oei C, Balogh O, Nowaczyk RM, Michel E, Reichler IM, Kowalewski MP: Endocrine control of canine mammary neoplasms: serum reproductive hormone levels and tissue expression of steroid hormone, prolactin and growth hormone receptors. BMC Vet Res 2015;11:235.
- Balogh O, Kowalewski MP, Reichler IM: Leptin and leptin receptor gene expression in the canine corpus luteum during diestrus, pregnancy and after aglepristone-induced luteolysis. Reprod Domest Anim 2012;47(Suppl. 6):40-42.